VAN RENSSELAER LOWER MANOR HOUSE… $495,000
Available with an additional 60 acres…$650,000
This remarkable property is one of the oldest homes in Columbia County and has been under continuous ownership by the Van Rensselaer family and their descendants from the time when they were given a patent to the Claverack Patroonship in 1685 by the English colonial government who took over from the Dutch in 1664. Built in sections over the years, the house is ready for a new chapter with a new owner. … The rear stone section is the oldest, built c. 1685-1715, and still houses the original kitchen hearth and bake oven with iron set kettle. The front, late 18th century frame section, has a steep pitched roof over a long low porch (a variation of a curved Dutch veranda) with center entry and center chimney with two large parlor rooms, each with finely carved fireplace mantels and other period details including original doors, hardware, and wide board floors. A steep stairway leads to the current second floor bedrooms and bath. A sunny kitchen wing was added late last century. The second main entry, c. 1790, connects the front and rear sections. The rear roof was raised c. 1870 and later additions filled in what was a courtyard and provided extra space for two apartments that were created. Most recently used as a three family residence it could be returned to a single-family home or one could live in the front section and rent two apartments. The property includes a post and beam barn (c. 1825) and is only 10 minutes to Hudson and Amtrak. A vacant former store and greenhouse (c. 1950) and sixty wooded acres can also be purchased with the historic house and barn.
602 Route 23B,
PO Box 360,
Claverack, New York 12513